Fantasy Cabin Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions

+7
Morgana22
AGradine
JLooft
Call Me Nefret
Sieglinde
Elowen-Astrid
Poetic-Jessie
11 posters

Go down

Introductions Empty Introductions

Post by Sophie Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:21 am

Hello, and welcome to Camp! We hope you enjoy your stay here.

The first step of a good camp is introducing yourself to your fellow bunk mates. So please tell us a little bit about yourself--who you are, where you're from, how you got started writing or what your main interests are, and why you joined our camp!

Last edited by Sophie (Admin) on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty Re: Introductions

Post by Sophie Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 am

(I basically copied and pasted this from the Camp page but oh well)

Anyway, let me introduce myself Very Happy My name is Sophie, I'm 26 and I live in Japan and I'm working as a teacher. I've been interested and writing fantasy ever since I could remember - I used to love reading fantasy books and making up my own characters and worlds even at a young age.

The novel I'm currently trying to finish has been a WIP since I was in High school so about 10 years (eek!) but only in the last 3 or so years have I actually been motivated to write more! This camp I'm hoping to organise my mess of a storyline and make it more action-packed!
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 am

Hello Very Happy My name is Jessie, I'm 28 and I live in Brisbane, Australia. I'm a crisis counsellor and I discovered fantasy (Alanna: the First Adventure XD ) when I was twelve. I guess I have always loved writing, and I started a few stories when I was twelve as well (but they never really went anywhere). My interests lay in playing sci-fi, fantasy games and reading the books in those genres.

I plan to revise my novel this camp (without headdesking too much). I'm not very good at description, so I guess I'd like to work on that.
Poetic-Jessie
Poetic-Jessie

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Very Happy My name is Astrid, I am 23 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I study psychology with minor in philosophy. I have always loved stories with fantastical elements and I discovered fantasy when I was eleven. I didn't start writing until I was 19. The project I was working on back then was destroyed because my laptop died and there was no backup and no way to retrieve the memory. So 3 years later I rediscovered writing and now I am here Wink After 3 discarded projects I plan to finish this one and I want to use this camp for world building, finishing the storyline and start writing the story.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:02 pm

I go by Isabel, I'm from Hungary and 31. Work in family business, which is less glamorous than it sounds. Mostly just want to be a rich writer who keeps bees and has a big garden and cosplays/LARPs a lot.

I completed NaNo so I thought I'd go for it again, and fantasy is my go-to. I also have a sci-fi noir project, but that's not my priority right now.
Sieglinde
Sieglinde

Back to top Go down

Post by Call Me Nefret Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 am

My name is Margaret. I'm 22 (almost 23) and I live in America. I'm currently between schools, I finished my bachelors degree and will be moving on to my masters in the fall. I have loved writing from a a very young age. I was about 8 when I started writing poetry and 12 when I began short stories. I've finished a couple different manuscripts thanks to NaNoWriMo, but this time around I want to make a longer story with multiple plotlines going on at once.

I would like to be a published author one day. And also a museum curator, which is what I'm going to school for.
Call Me Nefret
Call Me Nefret

Back to top Go down

Post by JLooft Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi all! I'm Jennifer, and I live in Texas, USA. I'm 38 (apparently the oldest cabin member) and a mom of two kiddos. I am still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. Currently, I work for my family's business (yes, @Sieglinde: It is not as glamorous as it sounds, I know). I was a teacher for 15 years and now just substitute teach at my kids' school. I also work as a freelance costume designer for local area theater directors. And, I write.

I did NaNo for the first time last Nov and WON! (Whoop!). It was the first time I ever sat down and actually wrote something other than a short story or poems, so it was great fun! I thought I'd give camp a try, and hopefully will find success in that as well. My novel is Renaissance fantasy set in the future. Totally weird sounding, I know. Once I get it figured out, I'll give you a better idea of what it is!

Excited to be a part of this VERY International cabin!

JLooft

Back to top Go down

Post by AGradine Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi, I'm Alex! I'm from the north coast of California. I've been pretty obsessed with fantasy since i was a kid. Mostly books and video games, but I also used to steal and read my brother's D&D books all the time. As an adult I ran a D&D game for my friends, but I've had to put the game on hold when I became a father about twenty months ago. D&D has always been a huge part of how I interact with popular culture, so I've tried to keep involved in the game by interacting with online communities and writing fan products. While I tend towards supernatural horror when I write narrative fiction, but I usually try more unusual projects during Camp NaNoWriMo, so this July I'll be writing an adventure module/mini campaign for D&D 5th edition.

I enjoy tabletop games and video games. My adventure features some pretty typical low-level D&D creatures (goblins, lizardfolk, undead, etc.) but the central villains are going to be aberrations (D&D's take on Lovecraftian type creatures). I'm excited to develop my adventure's setting and characters!

AGradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgana22 Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:41 am

Hello, my name is Morgan, but feel free to call me Mo, Momo, or even Morgana. I answer to all of them. I am 24 years old and live in Washington state. My current project is actually one I started with two years ago. I have been writing it in parts, and now I am working on the second half of book two... I think. I am stalling on any editing or rewrites till I finish the story completely. Every camp and November I have been in is part of the same project.

Also I play Pathfinder or D&D every other weekend. I love doing photography, and read a lot. I have my own mini library starting, I need more space for all the books.
Morgana22
Morgana22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekron Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:04 am

Hi Morgan! Tell me your secrets of consistent productivity, I am the world's slowest and most capricious writer. What are your favorite books in your library?

Nekron

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigobolt Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:36 am

Hi all!

So my name's Rachel. I'm 26 and currently living in South Carolina. I tend to move about every 6 months to a year. Longest I've spent somewhere since graduating college in 2012 is about 1.5 years in Alaska. Yes, Alaska was awesome!

I've been writing since high school. The first thing I worked on was all hand written so I need to look at it sometime since I don't really remember it. I'm currently all over the place on what I'm working on. I can't outline to save my life (well I could but knowing what happens sort of makes me not want to write) so I hop between stories. Currently I'm working on writing 2 fantasy stories. I also occasionally write sci-fi so if I can motivate to edit, I've got my April camp to eventually mess around with. It's not looking too good on the editing front though. I'm going to have a bit of a nutsy work schedule for July so I may need some help motivating to write as I'm currently working on a huge report due in September (really it's just the whole part of being on the computer for such long hours).

I'm all over the place with hobbies. Reading (& writing obviously), sword work, photography, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

Indigobolt

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgana22 Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:22 am

Nekron wrote:Hi Morgan! Tell me your secrets of consistent productivity, I am the world's slowest and most capricious writer. What are your favorite books in your library?

My secrets to my productivity is probably my mother constantly asking me for the next part to read. That and the fact I am dead set on finishing the story. Also, are you really asking a book lover to choose favorites? Although for the moment I would have to say I am completely hooked on Throne of Glass series, by Sarah J. Maas.
Morgana22
Morgana22

Back to top Go down

Post by SerendipitySnape Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:35 am

Hi everyone! *waves and offers up some s'mores* I'm getting to the party a bit late, so I'd better introduce myself and convey my thanks for letting me join your cabin! My name is Seren, I'm 26, been writing since I was old enough to hold a pen, and trying desperately to FINISH my current high fantasy WIP. (although finishing has been quite the fever dream as of late)

That being said, I've got big plans for this July, and I'm excited to meet you guys and fall in love with your current projects and characters Smile My manuscript Speaker of the Bear (SotB) has haunted me for the last two years, and I swear I dream of bear-girls and dragon fire during most of my waking hours. I love world building, but I'm at the point in my writing process where its more important for me to simply tell the story instead of spending my time creating more "idea debt." Can anyone relate?

SerendipitySnape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:07 am

SerendipitySnape wrote:My manuscript Speaker of the Bear (SotB) has haunted me for the last two years, and I swear I dream of bear-girls and dragon fire during most of my waking hours. I love world building, but I'm at the point in my writing process where its more important for me to simply tell the story instead of spending my time creating more "idea debt." Can anyone relate?

You've basically described me just here, except replace two years with almost ten years since I wrote the beginning of this story and dreamed up the world. It's been a long process but I finally feel like I'm mature and dedicated enough to finally finish it. Otherwise I swear it'll kill me.
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum